Tuesday, February 22

Cheap Tuesdays - I Spy Bag Gift

My kids love I Spy games and books like Where's Wally and Spot What, so I have wanted to make an I Spy Bag for ages. I've mentioned my limited sewing skills (and patience) before, so I cheated again. I used felt so that I didn't have to stress about fraying seams. It was from some craft stuff I already had lying around that I'd bought to use for Christmas crafts with my boys, I think it cost 80c for the sheet from a $2 store. The clear vinyl/soft plastic was recycled from some packaging and I traced around some biscuit cutters for the window shapes. I did try sewing the plastic with some baking paper underneath but I was still finding it too difficult to sew, so I hot glued it and then double hand stitched over it instead to give it the best chance of surviving child use. Then I went hunting in toy, craft and junk drawers and found little things to put in the bag. Typed out a list of the things to spy; filled the sewn felt bag with rice (I think next time I'll put a little more rice in). Machine sewed the bag closed, twice, just in case. Now I just have to get around to printing the list, laminating it and attaching it to the bag :P

The boys have all given it a test drive and have put in orders for their own; hopefully their cousin likes it just as much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think!