Tuesday, February 1

Cheap Tuesdays - Kids Cooking Apron

When Christmas shopping with my SIL we were trying to find a kids cooking apron for her almost 2 year old. We found a couple for around $25 each, but they were all designed for 4-6 year olds and would have swam on her. We thought about getting a kids painting smock instead ($10-15 each), but the whole non-cooking-look was just not good enough.

So I attempted to make one for her birthday last week. My sewing skills are very lame (I can sometimes sew in a straight line & hate measuring fabric) so I used a tea towel as a base. I neatly cut hacked the sides and some of the top off and stitched seams. Sewed some ribbon for ties on. I attempted to get fancy and put a ruffle along the top but realised I didn't have a hope. It kept pulling into a circle so I made it into a flower with some bling in the centre to cover my dodgy handsewing.

The tea towel cost me about 67 cents (clearance special), the ribbon was lying around from a gift I'd been given, and the bling was a button saved from a scary piece of clothing I was given once. I also spent about an hour of my time to make it. Even to make this from full priced materials would have cost me about $7 at most and I spent less time making it than we originally did looking for one in the shops! Plus it fit her and the ties give her room to grow.


4 comments:

  1. this is really really cute!
    what a cool idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome! What a great present :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Kids Cooking Apron! who made this? is it a child? cause it very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it for my 2 year old neice, but a child who can sew straight lines on a sewing machine could easily make one!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think!