Tuesday, February 15

Cheap Tuesdays
Making Do

I really like the idea of growing our own vegetables, so I plant something every couple of months. Unfortunately my gardening skills don't match my enthusiasm; most plants don't make it to week 2! So when I went to attack the jungle the other week, I was a bit shocked to find these sweet potatoes had grown... and they had really grown. There's still more down there.

Being able to adapt or make do with what you have available (a million sweet potatoes, for example) is cheaper because (a) you've already spent the money or effort to get the item so use it before it turns into waste, and (b) you don't have to outlay more money to use it up.

In this case instead of spending time looking for and trying out new recipes that use sweet potato, I have been adding it to our usual meals - this week they have been thrown into slowcooker Thai curry, pumpkin soup, vege pie, and are going into the baked veges tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think!